Per-server alternate nicks?
t***@ieee.org
2003-09-24 19:55:31 UTC
This might have been asked on the list before, but without a
searching function on the archives I can't really tell. Anyways, what I'm
looking for is a way to do alternate nicks on a per-server basis. I have
one server that I have a different nick on from the others I connect to,
and the alternate nick setting doesn't work properly there. I've tried
setting alternate_nick in the chatnet block for that server in the config
file, but that doesn't do it either. Any ideas?

Tim
Guyang Mao
2003-09-24 20:02:43 UTC
Why is it so important that you have a different nick on one server out of
the entire network?

Because everything else is network-specific ... Including the channels
you're in.

And no, there doesn't appear to be anything that would let you do that,
unless you write your own perl script and hook it into some server
connection signals.

GM

Tim
Matt Dunford
2003-09-24 20:07:56 UTC
Post by Guyang Mao
Why is it so important that you have a different nick on one server out of
the entire network?
Because everything else is network-specific ... Including the channels
you're in.
And no, there doesn't appear to be anything that would let you do that,
unless you write your own perl script and hook it into some server
connection signals.
I think what he meant was that he wants to specify a different nick per chat
network. One nick for undernet, another for freenode, etc. I need to know how
to set this in the config file. Anyone know how?
--
- Matt Dunford <> ***@zotikos.com ..
-. www.zotikos.com -- o,;-

Either this man is dead or my watch has stopped.
-- Groucho Marx
Guyang Mao
2003-09-24 20:11:08 UTC
Meh, just do

/ircnet add -nick <insert_nick_here> undernet

And

/save

And your custom nick will be saved in the ircnet entry. Which you could
have found out by reading:

/help ircnet

GM

Marcus Rueckert
2003-09-24 20:19:33 UTC
Post by Guyang Mao
This might have been asked on the list before, but without a searching
function on the archives I can't really tell. Anyways, what I'm
looking for is a way to do alternate nicks on a per-server basis. I
have one server that I have a different nick on from the others I
connect to, and the alternate nick setting doesn't work properly
there. I've tried setting alternate_nick in the chatnet block for
that server in the config file, but that doesn't do it either. Any
ideas?
/help ircnet

darix
--
irssi - the client of the smart and beautiful people

http://www.irssi.de/
t***@ieee.org
2003-09-24 22:34:10 UTC
I think you all misunderstood where I was going with this. If I log into
a network twice, it picks up my alternate_nick setting for hte second
client to connect. Now, for one of the networks I connect to I use a
different nick, and therefore would want a different alternate nick than
the rest. Is there a way to do this?
Hello.
You can use 'nick = "something";
www.bersirc.com
Marcus Rueckert
2003-09-25 07:53:47 UTC
Post by t***@ieee.org
I think you all misunderstood where I was going with this. If I log
into a network twice, it picks up my alternate_nick setting for hte
second client to connect. Now, for one of the networks I connect to I
use a different nick, and therefore would want a different alternate
nick than the rest. Is there a way to do this?
/ircnet add -nick foo IRCnet1
/ircnet add -nick bar IRCnet2
/server add -ircnet irc.ircnet.net IRCnet1
/server add -ircnet irc.ircnet.net IRCnet2

to connect:
/connect IRCnet1
/connect IRCnet2

darix
--
irssi - the client of the smart and beautiful people

http://www.irssi.de/
Athan
2003-09-25 07:57:36 UTC
Post by Marcus Rueckert
Post by t***@ieee.org
I think you all misunderstood where I was going with this. If I log
into a network twice, it picks up my alternate_nick setting for hte
second client to connect. Now, for one of the networks I connect to I
use a different nick, and therefore would want a different alternate
nick than the rest. Is there a way to do this?
/ircnet add -nick foo IRCnet1
/ircnet add -nick bar IRCnet2
/server add -ircnet irc.ircnet.net IRCnet1
/server add -ircnet irc.ircnet.net IRCnet2
/connect IRCnet1
/connect IRCnet2
No, he wants to set the ALTERNATE nick differently for seperate
networks:

08:56 [server]
08:56 nick = Athan
08:56 alternate_nick = AthanToo

It's the 'alternate_nick' variable that he wants to be able to set per
network.

-Ath
--
- Athanasius = Athanasius(at)miggy.org / http://www.miggy.org/
Finger athan(at)fysh.org for PGP key
Me who makes the monsters. Me who strips my confidence." Paula Cole - ME
Marcus Rueckert
2003-09-25 08:49:09 UTC
Post by Athan
No, he wants to set the ALTERNATE nick differently for seperate
08:56 [server]
08:56 nick = Athan
08:56 alternate_nick = AthanToo
It's the 'alternate_nick' variable that he wants to be able to set per
network.
thats not possible atm. thats why i suggested that way.

darix
--
irssi - the client of the smart and beautiful people

http://www.irssi.de/
Tim
2003-09-25 13:39:20 UTC
Ok, that's basically what I wanted to hear was that it wasn't possible.
I'll just fix the setting on the second computer and make it use the second
nick as the first. Thanks guys.

Tim

--On Thursday, September 25, 2003 10:49 AM +0200 Marcus Rueckert
No, he wants to set the ALTERNATE nick differently for separate
08:56 [server]
08:56 nick = Athan
08:56 alternate_nick = AthanToo
It's the 'alternate_nick' variable that he wants to be able to set per
network.
that's not possible atm.that's s why i suggested that way.
darix